If you loathe My Chemical Romance, look away now. This post is entirely My Chem related.
Killjoys! I need you! Yeah, I know, I say this every other week. But this time, I really, really do. The forums are buzzing with quiet anticipation as the ten-year anniversary of the band, and the MCRmy, comes up. There are plans to give the guys cake, to make a family portrait of the MCRmy, some people have already released their work and it is beautiful.
My idea is to host ten days of celebrations for the anniversary on Indifferent Ignorance. Every day, from the 10th September to the 20th, I will post a different blog discussing and celebrating different aspects of My Chem. Consider it a virtual rave, if you will. Posts will appear at varying times of day and night, since the MCRmy is across so many time zones. Ideally, everyone can pull an Isobel in the comments section and we can have a nice little debate/discussion going on at the end of every post.
Still with me? Good, because I need your help to set the party up. Please read and answer these questions, if you can:
- Do you know someone who has, literally and genuinely, had their life saved by MCR? Do you know someone whose outlook has been changed for the better, who has started something brilliant and cites My Chem as their main/only influence? These don’t just have to be suicide stories. Think more along the lines of ‘I was sitting in a hole. They inspired me to get out of it’.
- When did you get into the band, how, why, and what is your favourite ‘era’ so far?
- Come across any really excellent quality tributes on YouTube or DeviantART? Think RosaLui’s videos, the Dead! lyric video, the Helena remake. Send me them.
- What are some of your favourite Internet memes about the guys? Your favourite fanfictions and scenarios, comic strips, in-jokes? I know mine, but they’re just the tip of the iceberg. MCRmy.com has a bucketload of stuff here.
- Have you ever been to a live show that has since gone down in history, such as both Reading and Leeds festivals any of the early Bullets shows? Were you at a record release show, at an acoustic set, at the gig a few years ago where the power cut out? What was it like?
- Have you done Q&A with the guys, met them or seen them in the street; what were they like? Honestly.
- How has being a fan of the band changed your life in small ways? I swear more since I got into them and have started to misread anything to do with the Milky Way.
- Got any funny stories of explaining or defending the band to someone? Share them.
- What are your favourite MCRmy.com threads? Mine is ‘I’m Shorter Than Frank Iero’, because I set it up (we have a club now).
Send any replies that are more than 140 characters to firstname.lastname@example.org, otherwise send links and whatnot to my Twitter, @ToBeQuiteFrank. I don’t follow back but I don’t bite either. This will become a thread on MCRmy.com too. I want to share as many stories and opinions as possible.
Because the blogs will take some time to write and work on, and I have school soon, there is a deadline for when I can accept your submissions: Monday 4th September. Get them in before midnight on the fourth, whatever your timezone, and I will do my best to include them. Anything I declare ‘dodgy’ will not be used.
Now do what you do best and rally!