Let’s not pretend that 2016 won’t go down in history as utterly awful. But amongst all the death and elections and heartbreak, there were a few shining – or at least weakly glowing – lights. Here’s a few I could remember… help me out and suggest some more to get me through the next few days?
- Leonardo diCaprio won an Oscar.
- I decided to go to Asia I am about to pack up my belongings in a rucksack, finish my final shift at my final job and spend three months on a continent I’ve never seen. LET’S DO IT.
- Beyonce released this:
- I met Maggie Stiefvater And embarrassed myself, obvs.
- Gravitational waves got discovered (proven? I am not a science person but I think it means that Albert Einstein was definitely quite clever).
- I passed my driving test! I started learning to drive in summer 2014, took a ten-ish month break, took it back up about 18 months ago and passed first time. None of that really conveys how terrified of driving I was when I started versus how not-terrified I am now. Maybe one day I will write about it in relation to facing fear or whatever but right now I CAN DRIVE MYSELF PLACES
and deal with Southend’s ridiculous car park charges.
- Science people (seriously, help me out) are making leaps and bounds in cancer treatment research, like this.
- Prep is coming to the NHS
- Despite everything, we do still have an NHS.
- Choreography on Strictly like this and this and, most of all, this.
- #Parade10 I love MCR, but sometimes I think I might love the MCRmy more.
- Planet Earth II.
- Rio 2016 Give the British some green sludge to fall into and they start acing contests what a metaphor. But seriously if there hadn’t been a break in actual news coverage this year I think the year might have lost the plot… also, can we please take a minute to hero worship the Refugee Team and the life guards at the aquatics centre? This year did not deserve you.
- The Raven King came out Look it might be my favourite book I’ve ever read.
- I wrote something that got attention in a good way My school is going to fuckin haunt me.
- Joe Biden memes.
- I finished Headspace That’s a whole entire year of meditating. Okay so sometimes I fell asleep or did it with one eye open and then threw a tantrum but I’m so zen.
- Something I wrote got published in an actual publication!
I have to go and look at pictures of Carrie Fisher flipping people off now, so I will leave this here. What have your not-completely-shite moments been? TELL ME. SPREAD THE DREGS OF LOVE.